Each year, over 75,000 volunteers give more than 11 million hours in service to America’s Veterans. It is impossible to calculate the amount of caring and sharing that these VAVS volunteers provide to Veteran patients. VAVS volunteers are a priceless asset to the Nation’s Veterans and to the Department of Veterans Affairs.
Please join the VAVS family and make a difference in the lives of America’s heroes.
- Founded in 1946 to provide for our nation’s Veterans while they are cared for by VA health care facilities
- One of the largest centralized volunteer program in the Federal government
- More than 7,400 national and community organizations support the program
- Volunteers have provided over 760 million hours of service since 1946
Assist Veteran patients by augmenting staff with end of life care programs, foster care, community-based volunteer programs, hospital wards, nursing homes, and Veteran outreach centers.
- Annual contributions of nearly $90 million in gifts and donations
- Volunteers contributed a more than 10.7 million hours of service to Veterans in FY2016
- VAVS volunteers are a priceless asset to America’s Veterans and to VA
You have two convenient ways:
- Contact the Department of Veterans Affairs facility nearest you. Ask for Voluntary Service. Tell their staff of your interest in becoming a VAVS Volunteer. The staff will take care of everything else including your interview, orientation, and assignment! Locate the VA facility nearest you.
- Fill out the Volunteer Now! form on our Volunteer or Donate page. Someone from your local VAVS office will contact you with additional information.